This access statement does not contain personal opinions as to our suitability for those with access needs, but aims to accurately describe the facilities and services that we offer all our guests/visitors. It was last updated in February 2022.
Mabel’s Cottage is over 200 years old and sits at the heart of Sydling St Nicholas, one of those villages for whom the term “chocolate box” was invented. It is a delightful pink painted cottage, comfortably sleeping up to 4 people and is available to book for self- catering holidays all year round.
We have prepared this statement to help those with access needs decide whether we are able to offer you the services you require to help you enjoy our lovely village of Sydling St Nicholas and this beautiful region of West Dorset.
Holiday enquiries and bookings can be made by phone: please contact
Martin & Annie Harman
Tel: 01225 445 995
Mobile: 07770 683 834 / 07785 118 315
Or email: firstname.lastname@example.org. Price lists, information, booking correspondence etc can be provided in larger print on request.
- The web site can be found at www.cottageineindorset.com.
- This access statement can be found on the website, can be emailed/posted on request and copies are available at Mabel’s Cottage.
- Mabel’s Cottage is situated just off the A37, between Dorchester and Yeovil. Public Transport to the cottage is possible, but not very convenient, and involves the use of (costly) taxis – see section below.
- Groceries can be delivered to the cottage by a number of the major supermarket chains.
- By Car
In our view, it is essential to have a car for your enjoyment of Sydling St Nicholas. Public transport links are not particularly close, taxis are expensive, and there is no regular bus service.
On –street parking outside the cottage is readily available. There is a short brick pathed access to the cottage, with a single step from street level.
B – by Train & Taxi
Travel to Sydling St Nicholas by public transport is possible, but not cheap, and there is no regular bus service to and from the village, making taxis essential for those arriving by public transport, and since these must first travel out from Dorchester (around 8 miles away), these can be expensive.
There are two train stations in Dorchester – Dorchester South and Dorchester West. Dorchester South is not well suited to people with access requirements, having no level access to platforms, or accessible ticket machines. Dorchester West is better equipped, with level, step free access to both platforms. There is also limited disabled parking at this station.
There is also a train station at the nearby village of Maiden Newton. This is not very accessibility friendly, with no level platform access or facilities for those with access needs. There is also no local taxi company – so taxis must be summoned from Dorchester – at not inconsiderable expense.
C. Pedestrian Access
There is no pavement for much of the length of the village High Street. The road is fairly level, and passable by mobility scooter immediately outside the cottage has no particular access problems.
Arrival and Car Parking Facilities
- On Street Car parking outside cottage.
- Access to cottage is via short brick path with a single step. 180mms high
- Key collection will for mobility impaired guests is best arranged with our caretaker Sharon Wills, who will be very happy to arrange to meet you at the premises to hand over the key and assist with your arrival. Sharon’s contact details will be in the cottage tips sent to each guest prior to their arrival
- General area is dark at night (no street lighting). If guests anticipate arriving after dark, please let us know and the internal lobby light in the cottage can be left on for you to cast light over the entrance. It is advised that guests do likewise during their stay if anticipating returning after dark.
- The front door of the property opens inwards, and is 750mms wide. There is a restricted lobby area, with doors to the sitting room (left) and, up a step of 180mms to a through room leading on to the rest of the cottage. Wheelchair access within this lobby area would be extremely difficult.
- Lawned area accessed by two separate short flights of stone/brick steps (5 equal steps of 100mms) leading from a small concreted area outside the kitchen. At the far end of garden is a further patio, and steps leading down to a small stream. This area can be rough underfoot and have overhanging branches and other natural hazards.
- A range of outdoor garden seating, including a stone bench, picnic table and further wooden bench
- Bedrooms and Sitting Room
- 2 Bedrooms on first floor, up steepish flight of 10 Number steps. Potential mobility hazard at the head of these stairs which has an unusual floor configuration with master bedroom immediately to the left of the stairs.
- Smoke alarms: There are smoke alarms on the first floor landing outside master bedroom, and in the hallway outside the kitchen.
- There is a television with remote control available.
- Both bedrooms fairly small in terms of clear floor space.
- Both bedrooms have ceiling/wall lights and bedside lamps.
- Both bedrooms and the sitting room are carpeted, and the sitting room has an additional rug over. The through room and hallway downstairs have wooden floors (with an additional rug over in the through room, the kitchen a stone tiled floor, and the bathroom a vinyl floorcovering.
- The master bedroom contains an antique cast iron 4 foot 6 bedstead and mattress. The second bedroom contains 2 single wooden bedframes and mattresses.
- The cottage is non-smoking.
Bathroom & WC
- The bathroom is on the ground floor, off the hallway between the kitchen and sitting room.
- Vinyl covered flooring.
- Door access 640mms wide.
- The hand basin has separate hot and cold taps and the WC is of standard height.
- There is a bath 1520mms long and 560mms deep (internal dimensions – and height to be stepped over to enter).
- There is a thermostatically controlled shower over the bath, with a hinged glass shower screen.
- Kitchen in country style with modern appliances, and French windows opening to the garden.
- Access to kitchen from hall 690mms wide – with movement restrictions around fridge/kitchen table area.
- Mixer taps.
- Cordless Kettle
- Standard height work surfaces with cupboards under.
- Wall level electric cooker (Door handle 1,350mms from floor, and opens to 940mms above floor) and ceramic hob at work surface level.
- Microwaves set into alcove above the wall oven (door 1,750mms from floor).
- Crockery stored in a mixture of wall and under work surface cupboards, cutlery in unit drawers and cookware in cupboards under work surfaces. Arrangements can be made to store crockery/cutlery at more convenient levels if requested.
- Tiled floor.
- General ceiling lights and under cupboard lighting.
- Work surfaces contrast with units and floors.
- Integrated washing machine at floor level. Above this is an integrated refrigerator, with ice box.
- No smoking
- Address: Mabel’s Cottage, 14 High Street, Sydling St Nicholas, Dorchester DT2 9PB.
- Telephone (Sharon Wills -caretaker): 07973 341 728
- Mobile (Annie & Martin): 07770 683 834 /07785 118 315
- Email: email@example.com
- Website: www.cottageindorset.com
- Grid reference: SY631994
- Hours of operation: all year.
- Local Surgery: Cerne Abbas (tel 01300 341 666) or Maiden Newton Surgery (01300) 320206.
- Dorchester Tourist Information (01305) 267992.
- Future Plans
We welcome your feedback to help us continuously improve. If you have any comments please phone owners Annie & Martin Harman on 01225 445 995 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.